Be Flood Smart
Water Damage from Heavy Rains and Flooding: Clean up & Restoration
Flooding from a storm or heavy rains can happen fast. After the recent storms in Bergen County, New Jersey many homes have suffered water damage that never had any before. In fact, 20% of all claims paid by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) were for policies in low-risk communities.
The American Red Cross recommends having the following list of items packed and ready to go in the event of an emergency or evacuation due to flooding.
- Water-3+ day supply; one gallon per day per person
- Food-3+day supply of non-perishable, easy to prepare food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
- Extra batteries (all sizes)
- First Aid Kit
- Medications (7 day supply) and medical items (hearing aids, glasses, contacts, syringes, canes)
- Multi-purpose tool, supplies to secure your home
- Personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents (medication lists, deed/lease to home, insurance policies, birth certificates)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Baby supplies, pet supplies
- Extra car and house keys
- Extra clothing for both warm, cold and rainy weather-sturdy footwear
- Insect repellent and sunscreen
- Camera for photos of damage
Be prepared and make sure your family is safe, then call our trusted office staff at (201)236-2400 to schedule an appointment with SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County to handle the water damage cleanup professionally and quickly before any secondary mold damage can take over and cause even more costly repairs.