Is Your Bergen County Home Ready For A Storm?
Weather can have a huge impact on your Bergen County home if you are not properly prepared. Whether it is heavy rain, freezing temperatures, damaging winds, sleet or snow, all can cause serious damage. While you cannot control weather, you can take steps to be prepared, and help take the sting out of winter weather.
- Check your property for downed tree limbs and branches.
- Roofs, water pipes, and gutters should all be inspected to ensure they are in proper working order. Obstructions can lead to roof damage and interior water problems.
- Inspect property for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Protect water pipes from freezing by simply allowing water to drip when temperatures dip below freezing. If pipes are under cabinets, leave the doors open allowing warm air inside. If you have outdoor faucets, turn off the water at the main valve.
- Ask SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen about completing an Emergency READY Profile for your business. The ERP is a no cost assessment of your facility, and provides you with a plan to get back in business fast following a disaster. For residential customers download the ERP App and input your property information, and emergency contacts. SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen can be listed as your emergency contact for storm, flood, water, fire and biohazard damage restoration. Give us a call today 201-236-2400.
Freezing Pipes May Lead to Water Damage
With temperatures getting colder in the Northern New Jersey area there is a potential for pipes to freeze and cause serious water damage both outside and inside your home. Here are some tips to avoid frozen pipes in your home or business property.
On the inside:
If you will be away from home for days at a time, make sure that all of your pipes are kept warm, especially in spaces that receive little or no heat. If any pipes will stay exposed to freezing temperatures, open up one faucet with a very small drip to keep water moving through the pipes. Also, leave cabinet doors open to expose pipes to the air temperature within the room.
On the outside:
Protect your pipes as you would protect your plants. Cover up your outside faucets with foam or towels to insulate them. Make sure the water is turned off from the main valve. If you plan to be away from home this winter, remember to leave your contact information with a neighbor. You might consider giving them a key to your home, too, and leaving your preferred plumber's contact information behind should an emergency occur.
If your pipes burst and your home has water damage call your plumber and SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County. We specialize in the cleanup and restoration of homes and commercial properties after water damage disasters.
Fire Extinguishers: Tips You Should Know
Portable fire extinguishers can be life and property saving tools when used correctly. In order to operate an extinguisher, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) suggest remembering the word PASS:
Pull the pin. Hold the nozzle pointing away from you and release the locking mechanism.
Aim low. Point the extinguisher as the base of the fire.
Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
Sweep the nozzle from side to side.
Read the instructions on the fire extinguisher and become familiar with them before a fire breaks out. It is also important to ensure you have the correct type of extinguisher for your home or facility. To find more information on choosing the appropriate class extinguisher, please visit the NFPA website at http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/all-codes-and-standards/list-of-codes-and-standards?mode=code&code=10
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen is a leader in the fire restoration industry. We have over 25 years of experience, IIRC trained technicians, and professional grade cleaning products and equipment. Don't leave the most imortant job of cleaning your home after a fire to just anyone--Call the professionals at SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County 201-236-2400.
Water Damage: The Water You Don't See
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time.
The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County has the equipment, training and experience to test for and find unseen water before secondary damages occur. The proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a fire or water loss. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform.
We have a full arsenal of drying equipment. Here are a few of the tools used by our trained SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen technicians.
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, baseboards and walls.
- Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate readings, allowing SERVPRO to monitor the drying process.
- Thermohygrometers measure temperature and relative humidity. When armed with this information, SERVPRO staff can calculate and create an environment most conducive to drying. When facing a contaminated water loss, it is not only important to dry the structure, but the structure must also be disinfected and often deodorized.
- Ultra Low-Volume (ULV) Foggers will atomize liquid deodorizing agents, producing a fine mist that can easily penetrate the site where odor-causing residues may accumulate. This device can also be used to inject fungicides and disinfectants into wall cavities and other hard-to-reach areas.
- Thermal Foggers dispense solvent-based products by creating a dense fog. The fog consists of tiny particles of deodorant solution that attach to and neutralize odor-causing particles.
The bottom line? At SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County we have the training and equipment to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Water Damage Cleanup for your Bergen County Home
Water Damage can cause major problems to your Bergen County home. Whether you are dealing with broken pipes or a natural disaster, any number of things can cause flooding at your property. Besides the damage to any of your belongings and appliances, you have to find a way to get the water out of the home, and completely dry out the premises in order to avoid a problem that is compounded by unwanted mold growth. If you are dealing with water damage in Bergen County, the first step is to begin the water removal process. It is always best to call in the professionals at SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen when the job is too big for you, and you don't have the equipment or manpower to properly complete the water removal process. Also, notify your insurance company and take pictures of everything before any work is done at your property. If you are going to get any kind of insurance payout, it will be necessary to have proof of the full extent of water damage at your property.
What you should do Before SERVPRO Arrives:
Think about electricity before you enter the property or space until you know it is safe.
Remove any contents you don’t want that have water damage.
Move contents to higher level if there is no water damage to them.
What WE do when we arrive to your property:
Once we are sure it is safe to actually go into the flooded area of the building, we dress in protective gear, because it is a possibility that the water is contaminated. At this time our SERVPRO Production Manager assess the damage, and will guide you through the process of insurance claims, give you an estimate and the best course of action to clean up the damage.
We will now be able to remove what needs to be replaced, from dry wall to flooring. Then the Service Technicians will arrive in our “SERVPRO Green Trucks” with the required equipment of portable water extraction units to remove any standing water. After the water is removed air movers, fans, and/or floor drying mats can be place to completely dry the area.
What WE do after the water and moisture is removed:
When the water has been removed, along with any damaged belongings, we will need to perform a thorough cleaning with a disinfectant. This ensures that secondary damage does not occur and your home is clean and dry. Now the rebuilding process can begin.
When your Bergen County home has water damage from flooding or leaks, we have the expertise and equipment to properly restore your property. The water removal and drying process is completed by our highly-trained technicians who will document the entire process. This validates that your property has been dried properly and thoroughly.
Contact SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen for all of your water damage needs we have 24 hour/7 days a week emergency service.
Call today (201) 236-2400!
After The Storm: Leaks May Cause Mold Growth
Did You Know? There is a Water Damage Timeline
Intrusion of water into your home from a storm can result in mold growth. When water damages are not addressed right away, the result is an increased risk of harmful mold growth. Mold may appear within 24 to 48 hours after a water damage intrusion event if the conditions are conducive to mold growth.
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen located in Northern New Jersey handles water damages every day, and we know prompt action is required to prevent mold growth. By utilizing the proper equipment and moisture measuring devices, your home or business building will be quickly and thoroughly dried to industry standards, which helps prevent secondary damage like mold growth.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may begin to bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears. Mold spores grow if conditions are conducive to microbial growth.
Before risking further damage to you home, and belongings don't try to clean a water damage incident on your own, instead call SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County at (201) 236-2400 to handle the water damage cleanup and restoration.
Keep Fall Fire Free
The fall season brings cooler temperatures, beautiful colors, and an abundance of outdoor activities. October is Fire Prevention Month and an excellent time to examine the fire emergency preparedness plans for your home or business. SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County is a leading provider for fire cleanup and restoration. We have years of knowledge, and highly trained Service Technicians to properly handle any size fire, smoke or soot disaster. We also have the cleaning products and equipment required to restore your property to preloss conditions.
Plan ahead this season to help ensure it is safe and fire-free.
- Fall decorations, like dried flowers and cornstalks, are highly flammable. Keep these and, other decorations away from open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters.
- Keep emergency exits clear of decorations so nothing blocks escape routes.
- Teach children to stay away from open flames. Be sure they know how to stop, drop, and roll if their clothing catches fire.
- Remember safety first when choosing a Halloween costume. Consider avoiding billowing fabric. If you are making your costume, choose material that won’t easily ignite if it comes into contact with heat or flames.
- It is safest to use a flashlight or battery-operated candle in a jock-o-lantern. Use extreme caution is using a real candle. Place lit pumpkins away from anything that can burn and out of the way of doorsteps, walkways, and yards.
Along with these tips don’t forget to change your batteries in your Fire and Smoke Alarms. Once the alarm goes off you have less then 2 minutes to escape. Create, implement and practice a fire escape plan with your family and/or employees.
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County wants you to stay safe, and informed for any type of disaster that comes your way. If your Bergen County area home does suffer damage from a fire, smoke or soot give us a call at: 201-236-2400 we can walk you through the necessary steps to get your home back to normal. Read our Fire clean up tips.
October is Fire Prevention Month: Know What to Do Until Help Arrives
First Have an Evacuation Plan and make sure your family or employees are safe.
WHAT TO DO UNTIL HELP ARRIVES TO CLEAN THE DAMAGE
A fire can leave behind soot damage, smoke damage and a host of other problems. Ceilings, walls, woodwork, carpeting, and floors will often need a thorough professional cleaning.
If your home or business suffers a fire, it is important to take the appropriate steps to prevent further damage. The following tips may help reduce damage and increase chances of a successful restoration.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer/refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome kitchen/bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- If heat is off during the winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Change HVAC filters; leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- Don't attempt to wash walls, painted surfaces, furniture or carpets. Instead call SERVPRO.
- Do not attempt to clean electrical appliances before consulting authorized repair service.
- Do not consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water, as it may be contaminated.
- Do not turn on ceiling fans. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock.
- Don't send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
It is important for you to work with professionals trained in fire damage restoration to clean your home or business properly. Our Service Team and Production Managers are IICRC Certified and fully trained to clean fire damaged properties. We also have professional grade equipment and cleaning supplies to successfully clean soot and smoke damage. We make it "Like it never even happened."
When Water Damage Strikes: Know What To Do
The first 24 hours following a water loss are the most important in preventing secondary or permanent damage to your home or business. To help ensure a water damage is handled correctly complete the following steps:
Emergency Water Damage Tips:
- Shut off the water source if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping or blotting.
- Place aluminium foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other sensitive valuables to a dry place.
- Don't enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Don't use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water *this could cause electrical shock and/or damage to the vacuum.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water. Watch for a possible Ceiling collapse.
After taking the first steps to limit the damage to your Bergen County home or business. The next step in the process is to:
Call SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen
As a leader in the water damage restoration industry we will help you through the process of mitigating the damage. Here are the steps that will happen next:
Inspection: Our experienced SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen Service Technicians will inspect affected areas to determine the extent of water damage and will review the inspection with you to answer any questions before beginning any work.
In case of Emergency Service: Service Technicians will take steps to help protect your home or business, as well as personal belongings and other contents, from further damages by extracting the excess water and preparing the area for drying. They will explain the needed emergency services to you step by step.
Monitoring: To help ensure your home or business and belongings are dried to appropriate industry standards, a technician will monitor the drying process. The updates will be consistently be communicated to you.
Restoration Services: Are available upon request. We will repair structural materials, reinstall carpets, and clean affected areas of your property. A final walk-through of the job-site will be conducted with you.
With our level of experience in water damage restoration our SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County team is prepared for nearly any type and size disaster that could affect your home. Give us a call today at (201) 236-2400.
Disasters Happen: Make Sure Your Business is Prepared
As a business owner you are a leader in your community, and have the opportunity to set an example for your employees, customers, and community to follow.
This September or National Preparedness Month, join your community in preparing for emergencies and disasters of all types, and leading efforts to encourage the community as a whole to become more prepared. "Disasters Happen" and not only devastate individuals and neighborhoods, but entire communities, including businesses of all sizes.
As an employer in your community, having a business continuity plan can help protect your employees, company and its infrastructure. This will maximize your chances of recovery after an emergency or disaster. You can do this by taking three simple steps:
- Plan to stay in business-develop a Emergency READY Profile with SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County.
- Encourage your employees to become ready-Download the READY Plan APP
- Protect your investment-Plan Ahead
Advantages of the SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile
- No Cost Assessment of your facility.
- A concise Profile document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Establishes SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County as your restoration provider.
- Identification of the line of command for authoring work to begin
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and critical contact information.
We must all work together as a team to ensure that our families, businesses, and neighborhoods are ready when disaster strikes.
At ready.gov/business companies can find vital information on how to begin preparing and addressing their unique needs during an emergency. Contact SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County and speak to Art Holl to find out how to be ready when disaster strikes with the Emergency READY Profile program and APP.