The Science of Drying Water Damage
Water Damage Cleanup
Did You Know there is actually a science behind the process of drying?
At SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County we have the Knowledge of psychrometrics which is essential to restoring a water damaged structure to its preloss condition. While your initial reaction may be to grab a few towels to mop up the mess and place a fan or two around the damaged area, SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County is trained in the science of drying and follow strict industry-approved standards to help lower the chances of any secondary damages.
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County will:
- Inspect the building to detect every component that is wet, to help prevent secondary damage from happening.
- Measure how much moisture is in the wet materials and monitor whether the materials are drying properly.
- Speed up Mother Nature by using professional drying equipment.
SERVPRO technicians use the latest technology to help ensure your property is dried quickly and efficiently. DryBook™ is a proprietary tool that:
- Manages industry drying requirements.
- Provides real-time documentation on the drying process.
- Validates that services are executed to standards.
- Reports to all stakeholders involved.
- Allows real-time updates through DryBook™ Mobile Integration.
The bottom Line? SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County has the training and equipment to help make water damage in your Bergen County home or business "Like it never even happened." To learn more about water damage and the process of cleaning your water disaster visit Water Damage Restoration Process
Getting Ready For Spring Break -If a fire or water disaster happens call SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen
If your family is leaving for Spring Break remember these quick tips to keep your home safe.
- Keep Valuables away from your windows
- Set up timed lights around your home
- Have a neighbor watch your house
- Turn off your home phone ringer
- Don't post your vacation photos while your away
- Turn Washer machine water valve off
If any water or fire disasters happen while your away call SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen we can help you through the process of cleaning the mess left behind, and restore your home. We are a locally owned and operated franchise with 25 years of water and fire restoration experience. We can make any disaster "Like it never even happened".
Waldwick Cinco de Mayo 5k Run
Waldwick 5k Run 2018
Grab your sombrero and sneakers! And join SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County at the Waldwick 5k Run. We are a Gold sponsor for the event, we are donating tents, swag bag items and Karen is handing out the "Chile Pepper" medals! Here is the link to find out more information:
You might also see some of our employees running or walking! Here are the details from the event organizers:
This is “nacho” ordinary 5K Run! This year’s 12th Annual Waldwick Chamber of Commerce 5K Run and 1 Mile Walk will be held on Cinco de Mayo! This USATF-NJ Grand Prix sanctioned 500-point event offers a fast, scenic course through Waldwick Borough Park with the big finish on the new high school track. We’ll fiesta like there’s no manana with live music, and entertaining messages peppered along the way. Waldwick’s special brand of race-day spirit will keep you light on your feet all 3.1 miles. The race is timed by Best Racing System using B Tag Chips, and this race boasts the best goody bag swag (to the first 400 registrants), and special commemorative tech shirts.A portion of the proceeds from the 5K Run will be donated to The Waldwick High School Scholarship Fund, The Sean Fisher Foundation, The Christopher Goodell Scholarship Fund, The Staff Sgt. Joseph D’Augustine Memorial Fund, as well as a number of other community and veteran volunteer organizations. Show your Waldwick spirit and pride by coming out and joining us on this fun day.
Always in our hearts, this race is dedicated to the Memory of our three fallen Marines: SSgt. Joseph D’Augustine, Sgt. Christopher Goodell (WPD), & Gunnery Sgt. Mark Hopkins.
For more information please view our race website: https://thewaldwickchamberofcommerce.com/waldwick-5k-run/
Fireplace and Portable Heating Safety Tips
Did you know? 50% of all residential heating-related fires are reported during the months of December, January and February.
Keep the following safety tips in mind to help reduce your risk of a heating-related fire.
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from heating equipment., like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or a portable space heater. Have a three foot "kid free" zone around open fires and space heaters.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container a safe distance away from your home.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer's instructions.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
If your property does suffer fire damage, contact SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Did You Know? SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen handles more then Fire and Water Damage
Recognized as a leading fire, water, mold cleanup and restoration provider by insurance companies, property managers, home and business owners, SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen also offers fast, reliable biohazard, vandalism and crime scene cleanup and restoration services.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove such hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments. SERVPRO Northwest Bergen is trained to safely and effectively remove bio-hazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and state and local health regulations. Equipped with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen help turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and offices.
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen can help with:
- Blood-borne Pathogens
- Crime Science Residues
- Sewage Backup
- Black Water Intrusions
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
Blood-borne Pathogens: SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen can remove and dispose of bodily fluids, tissue and other potentially pathogenic substances resulting from accident, trauma, crime or death. Our trained technicians thoroughly clean, disinfect and deodorize the structure.
Crime Scene Residue: From fingerprints powder and evidence-gathering chemicals to tear gas and pepper spray residues, SERVPRO technicians can clean and restore your property and contents.
Arson and Vandalism: General cleaning and deodorization services for situations resulting from vandalism including graffiti, egg, spoiled foods and waste.
Sewage Backup: Sewage backups and black water intrusions are more than nasty, smelly situations-the damages also introduce harmful microorganisms into a structure. SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen technicians remove the sewage, contaminants and moisture, disinfecting as they clean. We help ensure the structure is properly cleaned, disinfected and deodorized to eliminate any secondary damages.
Here are some Helpful Do's and Don'ts for handling Vandalism Damages.
- Hose or wash egg or other residue damage from building exterior as soon as possible.
- Carefully vacuum glass particles from carpets and upholstery.
- Save containers revealing the ingredients of products used in vandalism damage.
- Record all damage and photograph when possible.
- Attempt to remove ink, paint or cosmetic stains.
- Operate damaged lamps or appliances.
- Discard broken or damaged pieces from porcelain, furniture, or other contents that may be used for repair.
CALL SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen
Plan Ahead and Build an Emergency Kit
Be Prepared at your home or business with an Emergency Kit. https://www.ready.gov/ suggests you have enough supplies to last for at least three days. Below are some suggested items to include in your kit.
- 3-day Supply of non-perishable food
- Water-One gallon per person per day
- First-aid kit
- Prescription Medication
- Sleeping bags and blankets
- Fire Extinguisher
- Hygiene products
- Extra Batteries
- Cell phone charger
- Change of clothes
- Matches in weatherproof container
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Whistle to signal for help
- Pet supplies
- Infant supplies
- Important documents in weatherproof container (insurance documents, bank records, IDs)
You can also keep a condensed Emergency Kit in your vehicle as well. For a more extensive kit go to ready.gov/
Clean Water vs. Contaminated Water
Contaminated water damage
When your home or business suffers from a water damage disaster, understanding what type of water you are dealing with is critical to ensuring proper cleanup. There are three types of water. Clean water is water from a broken pipe, other water source, and rainwater. The term grey water is used to describe slightly contaminated water, which is usually clean water that has been left untreated allowing bacteria and other contaminants to begin growing, making the water hazardous. Black water is highly contaminated and filled with fungi, bacteria, chemicals and more. Black water typically caused by sewage damage, flooding or any type of natural disaster.
When you have water damage, don't leave your property to chance. To learn more visit Water Damage Tips or Call SERVPRO to professionally cleanup any size water damage disaster.
Top Three DO's and DON'Ts after a fire disaster
These tips will assist you in taking proper action until SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen technicians arrive. Follow these Do's and Don'ts to help reduce the damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration.
- Limit Movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO.
- Do not attempt to clean electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
Winter Weather Worries
Winter weather and temperatures falling below freezing can bring about home water damage issues such as frozen pipes and ice dams. These damages are costly to repair and in most instances can be prevented.
Frozen pipes are not only those exposed to the cold weather, such as outdoor pipes, but also pipes in cold areas like basements, attics, garages and kitchen cabinets. A frozen pipe can burst at the point where the ice blockage inside the pipe is located, but the rupture is caused by the backflow pressure between the water source and the blockage. A burst pipe can cause considerable damage to your home if not properly and quickly fixed.
According to The American Red Cross here are some tips to prevent pipes from freezing:
- Drain water completely from swimming pool, sprinkler system and outside hoses.
- Open kitchen cabinets to let warm air near plumbing.
- In extreme cold, let water drip from faucets that may come from exposed pipes.
- Keep your heat set at the same temperature day and night. The temperature should not be set below 55°f
Ice dams can cause major damage during the snowy season. They form when heated air melts roof snow downward into water dammed behind still frozen ice. When the trapped water cannot run into the gutter system, it can backflow under the roof's shingles and into the structure's interior areas, as well as causing gutters and shingles to move or fall. Icicles can be an initial sign of an ice dam, (source Travelers.com) check for water stains or moisture in your attic or along ceiling of exterior walls in your home. These are indicators that ice dams have occurred and water has penetrated the roof membrane. Remove the ice dam quickly to prevent major water damage to your homes exterior and interior. Using heated cables, a roof shovel, or calcium chloride ice melt can be used to alleviate the ice dam problem.
If winter weather causes water damage to your property, SERVPRO has trained professional technicians ready to restore your property.
Water Damage: Thorough Drying Process with SERVPRO
When mitigating a water loss, taking steps to allow for thorough drying of the affected area is critical.
Every water damage event is a little different and requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. You can click on any of the steps below to learn more about that process.
The restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will guide you through the crisis and may ask several questions to help us better understand the equipment and resources.
We determine the scope of your water damage at this stage. We inspect and test to determine the extent of damage and how far the moisture has traveled to ensure proper and complete restoration.
The water removal process begins almost immediately and removes the majority of the water. We use powerful pumps and vacuum units to quickly remove hundreds or thousands of gallons from your property, which helps prevent secondary water damage and mold growth.
We use specialized equipment to remove the remaining water that is harder to access. Our Professionals will use room measurements, temperature, and relative humidity to determine the optimal number of air movers and dehumidifiers needed to dry your home or business.
We clean all of the restorable items and structures damaged by the water. We are adept at cleaning contents using a number of techniques. Our professionals are trained to provide sanitizing treatments and to remove odors and deodorize your property.
Restoration is the process of restoring your home or business to its pre-water damage condition. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall and installing new carpet, or may entail major repairs, such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.