Is Your Bergen County Home Ready for a Storm?
Weather can have a huge impact on your Bergen County home if you are not properly prepared. Whether it is heavy rain, freezing temperatures, damaging winds, sleet or snow, all can cause serious damage. While you cannot control weather, you can take steps to be prepared, and help take the sting out of winter weather.
- Check your property for downed tree limbs and branches.
- Roofs, water pipes, and gutters should all be inspected to ensure they are in proper working order. Obstructions can lead to roof damage and interior water problems.
- Inspect property for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Protect water pipes from freezing by simply allowing water to drip when temperatures dip below freezing. If pipes are under cabinets, leave the doors open allowing warm air inside. If you have outdoor faucets, turn off the water at the main valve.
- Ask SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen about completing an Emergency READY Profile for your business. The ERP is a no cost assessment of your facility, and provides you with a plan to get back in business fast following a disaster. For residential customers download the ERP App and input your property information, and emergency contacts. SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen can be listed as your emergency contact for storm, flood, water, fire and biohazard damage restoration. Give us a call today 201-236-2400.
Freezing Pipes May Lead to Water Damage
With temps getting colder in the Northern New Jersey area there is a potential for pipes to freeze and cause serious water damage both outside and inside your home. Here are some tips to avoid frozen pipes in your home or business property.
On the inside:
If you will be away from home for days at a time, make sure that all of your pipes are kept warm, especially in spaces that receive little or no heat. If any pipes will stay exposed to freezing temperatures, open up one faucet with a very small drip to keep water moving through the pipes. Also, leave cabinet doors open to expose pipes to the air temperature within the room.
On the outside:
Protect your pipes as you would protect your plants. Cover up your outside faucets with foam or towels to insulate them. Make sure the water is turned off from the main valve. If you plan to be away from home this winter, remember to leave your contact information with a neighbor. You might consider giving them a key to your home, too, and leaving your preferred plumber's contact information behind should an emergency occur.
If your pipes burst and your home has water damage call your plumber and SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County. We specialize in the cleanup and restoration of homes and commercial properties after water damage disasters.
Fire Extinguishers: Tips you should know
Portable fire extinguishers can be life and property saving tools when used correctly. In order to operate an extinguisher, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) suggest remembering the word PASS:
Pull the pin. Hold the nozzle pointing away from you and release the locking mechanism.
Aim low. Point the extinguisher as the base of the fire.
Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
Sweep the nozzle from side to side.
Read the instructions on the fire extinguisher and become familiar with them before a fire breaks out. It is also important to ensure you have the correct type of extinguisher for your home or facility. To find more information on choosing the appropriate class extinguisher, please visit the NFPA website at http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/all-codes-and-standards/list-of-codes-and-standards?mode=code&code=10
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen is a leader in the fire restoration industry. We have over 25 years of experience, IIRC trained technicians, and professional grade cleaning products and equipment. Don't leave the most imortant job of cleaning your home after a fire to just anyone--Call the professionals at SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County 201-236-2400.
Keep Fall Fire Free
Home on Fire and The SERVPRO APP
The fall season brings cooler temperatures, beautiful colors, and an abundance of outdoor activities. October is Fire Prevention Month and an excellent time to examine the fire emergency preparedness plans for your home or business. SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County is a leading provider for fire cleanup and restoration. We have years of knowledge, and highly trained Service Technicians to properly handle any size fire, smoke or soot disaster. We also have the cleaning products and equipment required to restore your property to preloss conditions.
Plan ahead this season to help ensure it is safe and fire-free.
- Fall decorations, like dried flowers and cornstalks, are highly flammable. Keep these and, other decorations away from open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters.
- Keep emergency exits clear of decorations so nothing blocks escape routes.
- Teach children to stay away from open flames. Be sure they know how to stop, drop, and roll if their clothing catches fire.
- Remember safety first when choosing a Halloween costume. Consider avoiding billowing fabric. If you are making your costume, choose material that won’t easily ignite if it comes into contact with heat or flames.
- It is safest to use a flashlight or battery-operated candle in a jock-o-lantern. Use extreme caution is using a real candle. Place lit pumpkins away from anything that can burn and out of the way of doorsteps, walkways, and yards.
Along with these tips don’t forget to change your batteries in your Fire and Smoke Alarms. Once the alarm goes off you have less then 2 minutes to escape. Create, implement and practice a fire escape plan with your family and/or employees.
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County wants you to stay safe, and informed for any type of disaster that comes your way. If your Bergen County area home does suffer damage from a fire, smoke or soot give us a call at: 201-236-2400 we can walk you through the necessary steps to get your home back to normal.
When Water Damage Strikes: Knowing what to Do
The first 24 hours following a water loss are the most important in preventing secondary or permanent damage to your home or business. To help ensure a water damage is handled correctly complete the following steps:
Emergency Water Damage Tips:
- Shut off the water source if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping or blotting.
- Place aluminium foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other sensitive valuables to a dry place.
- Don't enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Don't use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water *this could cause electrical shock and/or damage to the vacuum.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water. Watch for a possible Ceiling collapse.
After taking the first steps to limit the damage to your Bergen County home or business. The next step in the process is to:
Call SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen
As a leader in the water damage restoration industry we will help you through the process of mitigating the damage. Here are the steps that will happen next:
Inspection: Our experienced SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen Service Technicians will inspect affected areas to determine the extent of water damage and will review the inspection with you to answer any questions before beginning any work.
In case of Emergency Service: Service Technicians will take steps to help protect your home or business, as well as personal belongings and other contents, from further damages by extracting the excess water and preparing the area for drying. They will explain the needed emergency services to you step by step.
Monitoring: To help ensure your home or business and belongings are dried to appropriate industry standards, a technician will monitor the drying process. The updates will be consistently be communicated to you.
Restoration Services: Are available upon request. We will repair structural materials, reinstall carpets, and clean affected areas of your property. A final walk-through of the job-site will be conducted with you.
With our level of experience in water damage restoration our SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County team is prepared for nearly any type and size disaster that could affect your home. Give us a call today at (201) 236-2400.
Disasters Happen: Be READY and Prepare now
As a business owner you are a leader in your community, and have the opportunity to set an example for your employees, customers, and community to follow.
This September or National Preparedness Month, join your community in preparing for emergencies and disasters of all types, and leading efforts to encourage the community as a whole to become more prepared. "Disasters Happen" and not only devastate individuals and neighborhoods, but entire communities, including businesses of all sizes.
As an employer in your community, having a business continuity plan can help protect your employees, company and its infrastructure. This will maximize your chances of recovery after an emergency or disaster. You can do this by taking three simple steps:
- Plan to stay in business-develop a Emergency READY Profile with SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County.
- Encourage your employees to become ready-Download the READY Plan APP
- Protect your investment-Plan Ahead
Advantages of the SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile
- No Cost Assessment of your facility.
- A concise Profile document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Establishes SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County as your restoration provider.
- Identification of the line of command for authoring work to begin
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and critical contact information.
We must all work together as a team to ensure that our families, businesses, and neighborhoods are ready when disaster strikes.
At ready.gov/business companies can find vital information on how to begin preparing and addressing their unique needs during an emergency. Contact SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County and speak to Art Holl to find out how to be ready when disaster strikes with the Emergency READY Profile program and APP.
After the Storm Watch For Mold Growth
Did you know there is a Water Damage Time Line?
Intrusion of water into your home from a storm can result in mold growth. When water damages are not addressed right away, the result is an increased risk of harmful mold growth. Mold may appear within 24 to 48 hours after a water damage intrusion event if the conditions are conducive to mold growth.
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County handles water damages every day, and we know prompt action is required to prevent mold growth. By utilizing the proper equipment and moisture measuring devices, your home or business building will be quickly and thoroughly dried to industry standards, which help prevent the secondary damage like mold growth.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may begin to bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears. Mold spores grow if conditions are conducive to microbial growth.
Before risking further damage to you home, belongings don't try to clean a water damage incident on your own, instead call SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County at (201) 236-2400 to handle the water damage cleanup and restoration.
September is National Preparedness Month: Why the Emergency Ready Profile?
September is National Preparedness Month, and it is the perfect opportunity to share the benefits of having a readiness plan in place with your customers, employees and family.
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile (ERP) will help ensure you and your business are "Ready for whatever happens." In the event of an emergency, the SERVPRO ERP can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility.
Advantages of the SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile:
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business, including emergency contact information, shut-off valve locations, and priority locations.
- The ERP is also accessible online using your computer or tablet; download the SERVPRO free Ready Plan APP to access this information at any time using your smartphone or tablet.
- Establishes SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. Knowing who to call in advance is key to a quick response and timely mitigation, helping to minimize the amount of time your business is inactive.
Preparation is the key to making it through any disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. No one plans on a disaster, but now you can have a plan in place when it happens. Call our office today and speak with Art Holl to start your Emergency READY Profile.
Water Damage Process and Cleanup for your Bergen County Home
Stats of water damage that affect you and your property
Water Damage can cause major problems to your Bergen County home. Whether you are dealing with broken pipes or a natural disaster, any number of things can cause flooding at your property. Besides the damage to any of your belongings and appliances, you have to find a way to get the water out of the home, and completely dry out the premises in order to avoid a problem that is compounded by unwanted mold growth. If you are dealing with water damage in Bergen County, the first step is to begin the water removal process. It is always best to call in the professionals at SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen when the job is too big for you, and you don't have the equipment or manpower to properly complete the water removal process. Also, notify your insurance company and take pictures of everything before any work is done at your property. If you are going to get any kind of insurance payout, it will be necessary to have proof of the full extent of water damage at your property.
What you should do Before SERVPRO Arrives:
Think about electricity before you enter the property or space until you know it is safe.
Remove any contents you don’t want that have water damage.
Move contents to higher level if there is no water damage to them.
What WE do when we arrive to your property:
Once we are sure it is safe to actually go into the flooded area of the building, we dress in protective gear, because it is a possibility that the water is contaminated. At this time our SERVPRO Production Manager assess the damage, and will guide you through the process of insurance claims, give you an estimate and the best course of action to clean up the damage.
We will now be able to remove what needs to be replaced, from dry wall to flooring. Then the Service Technicians will arrive in our “SERVPRO Green Trucks” with the required equipment of portable water extraction units to remove any standing water. After the water is removed air movers, fans, and/or floor drying mats can be place to completely dry the area.
What WE do after the water and moisture is removed:
When the water has been removed, along with any damaged belongings, we will need to perform a thorough cleaning with a disinfectant. This ensures that secondary damage does not occur and your home is clean and dry. Now the rebuilding process can begin.
When your Bergen County home has water damage from flooding or leaks, we have the expertise and equipment to properly restore your property. The water removal and drying process is completed by our highly-trained technicians who will document the entire process. This validates that your property has been dried properly and thoroughly.
Contact SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen for all of your water damage needs we have 24 hour/7 days a week emergency service.
Call today (201) 236-2400!
After The Storm
After any water damage situation, like a storm your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
Floods from heavy rains is one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States. Whether your home or business is near a coastline, along a city street, in the mountains, near a river or even in a desert--there is always a potential for flood damage.
Floodsmart.gov reports, in the last 5 years, all 50 states have experienced floods or flash floods.
If a flood does strike your home or business, contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County, even minor floods can lead to major damage when not treated quickly and properly. Cleanup is often an overwhelming task for the average homeowner without the right equipment. SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County can handle any size disaster large or small.