Beat the Heat
As summer approaches it is time to consider safety precautions for extreme heat. Heat affects all people, but is particularly dangerous for the sick, elderly and young. Urban area residents also have a greater chance of being affected than those who live in rural areas due to the heat island effect.
According to the EPA, "the sun can heat dry, exposed urban surfaces, such as roofs and pavement, to temperatures 50-90° F hotter than the air, while shaded or moist surfaces often in more rural settings remain close to air temperatures."
Whether you are in an urban or rural area, there are several things you can do to prepare for an prevent extreme heat from affecting you and your family. If possible stay indoors I the air conditioning. Remember to bring your pets indoors, or have shade and water available for them at all times. Stay hydrated and limit alcohol and caffeine intake.
If you must venture outdoors, wear light-colored, and loose-fitted clothing. It is also important to wear sunscreen when outdoors, and follow the instructions for application.
Pay attention to signs of heat exhaustion, which include: heavy sweating, weakness, cold, pale and clammy skin, nausea or vomiting, and fainting according to the Center For Disease Control And Prevention (CDC). Heat exhaustion can lead to heat stroke, which is life-threatening. Signs of heat stroke are a high body temperature (103°+), rapid and strong pulse, and possible unconsciousness. If you think someone has heat stroke, call 911 immediately and move the person somewhere cool. Try to reduce the body temperature with cool, wet clothes or a bath. Do not give the person with heat stroke fluids, and treat the situation as a serious medical emergency. (CDC)
If you live in a humid climate, be aware of the heat index. The heat index factors in the humidity, which can make the temperature feel 15° hotter.
Extreme Heat Safety Tips to Prepare Your Home
- Install window air conditioners snugly, insulate if necessary
- Check air-conditioning ducts for proper ventilation
- Install temporary window reflectors (for use between windows and drapes). Aluminum foil covered card board can be used to reflect heat back outside.
- Cover windows that receive morning or afternoon sun with drapes, shades, awnings, or louvers, to reduce the heat that enters a home by up to 80%.
Extreme Heat is a serious danger. For more information on preparation and prevention, visit https://www.ready.gov/ or https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/index.html
Plan Ahead: Be Ready for Potential Disasters
Commercial Water and Fire Damage Cleanup
In the event of an emergency, the Emergency Ready Profile can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your commercial facility.
The ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business, including emergency contacts, shut-off valve locations and priority areas. The ERP also establishes SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider, giving you access to 25 years of experience in mold, water and fire cleanup. The ERP is a no-cost assessment; all it requires is a little time, making it a great value that could save you time and money in the future.
By downloading the FREE SERVPRO READY App, this information is stored electronically and can be accessed using your mobile device putting help at your fingertips.
Preparation is key to making it through any size disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. Having a plan in place may help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive and get you back in the building quickly following a disaster. Don't wait until disaster strikes--resolve to Be READY. Call SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen to establish your Emergency READY Profile, and be "Ready for whatever happens".
Advantages of the SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- A concise profile document containing only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Establishes SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
Contact Art Holl at 201-236-2400. Visit Commercial Services/ERP
Celebrate Summer Safely: FIREWORKS
E- all of the above
Fireworks Safety Tips
Summer is synonymous with barbeques, parades and fireworks displays; but along with all the festivities are plenty of visits to emergency rooms-especially during July.
Each year, around 230 people are injured badly enough to require medical treatment after fireworks-related incidents, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. In addition to causing injury, fireworks are also responsible for thousands of house fires each year with millions of dollars in property damage.
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear.
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don't go off or in case of fire.
- Children should never pick up fireworks that may be left over as they may still be active.
- The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professional.
- Have a Happy Fourth of July.
- Fireworks cause an average of almost 20,000 reported fires per year.
- In 2013, sparklers caused 41% of fireworks injuries.
- On Independence Day in a typical year, fireworks account for two out of five reported fires, more than any other cause of fire.
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen is locally owned and operated company in Bergen County, New Jersey. We are a premier fire cleanup and restoration company with over 25 years of experience and training. We also have the professional cleaning products and equipment to get your property restored properly and quickly.
AND the answer to the question is E!
Tips and information provided by the National Fire Protection Assoc.
Fire Escape Planning For Your Business
Can Your Employees Escape a Fire in Under 2 Minutes?
An emergency escape plan is not required for all businesses, however, OSHA recommends building an emergency action plan to protect yourself, your employees, and your business during an emergency. OSHA suggests the following steps when developing a plan.
- Organize an Emergency Preparedness Procedures review with employees to review your company's emergency plans. You may wish to select an individual or team of individuals to lead and coordinate your emergency plan.
- Once a plan is developed, post evacuation procedures, including routes and exits, where they are easily accessible to all employees. Ensure all exits and routes are clearly marked and will lit, wide enough to accommodate the number of evacuating personnel, and unobstructed and clear of debris at all times.
- Conduct office evacuation exercises and drills. Designate a safe spot outside of the facility where employees can regroup, recover and conduct a head count. Once completed, evaluate how well the plan worked and if additional training or exercises are needed.
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County Service Technicians are trained fire cleanup and restoration professionals with years of experience. If your business has suffered from fire damage event please give us a call at 201-236-2400 to learn about our services or learn more about what to do or NOT do after a fire read our Fire Damage Tips.
Faster To Any Size Disaster 24/7
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Bergen County, New Jersey! We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Service Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7
Whether your home needs emergency flood damage, fire damage or biohazard/sewage damage cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can clean and restore your home and make your property look its best.
Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Cleanup
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Sewage/biohazard Cleanup
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So, when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services, we have the training and expertise to respond quickly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business.
Learn more about our commercial services:
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
- Commercial Cleaning and Disinfecting
Don’t trust your home or business to just any cleanup crew, TRUST the local damage and restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen. We will be there faster even when disaster strikes at any unexpected time.
Flood Damage Cleanup Process and Tips
Contact SERVPRO to Provide Flood Damage Cleanup and Restoration in Your Bergen County Home
Flooding can cause damage, leading to serious issues both to the interior and exterior of a Bergen County home. Flooding can take place fast with minimal warning, and flood damage can leave your home requiring significant repairs. It can be overwhelming recovering from a flood and understand the steps to take afterward.
Floodwater can be dangerous
Floodwater can affect human health because there could be bacteria, viruses, pesticides, and sharp objects, among other biohazardous substances. SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen Technicians have the training and experience cleaning up, drying, disinfecting a flooded house safely.
Precautions you should take after a flood
After a flood, you should take some precautions to avoid injury and extensive damage to your property. They include:
- Avoid walking in floodwater and wear personal protective gear like boots and gloves if you must walk in it.
- Turn off the electricity at the mains.
- Call your insurance firm to inform it about the incident.
- Check your home for signs of damage that needs professional help to repair such as bulges or cracks in the walls and changes to the structure.
Restoring a flooded Property
The task of cleaning up your flood-damaged home can be a lengthy process, particularly in the case of severe water infiltration. Our SERVPRO crew seeks to understand the nature of the flood. The existence of biological or chemical contaminants, and sewage in the floodwater dictates the way we manage recovery. For standing water containing the above items, we have the equipment for extraction and safe disposal.
We also consider the height the floodwater reached and its rate of flow around and inside the building. We use powerful extractors to remove water quickly. Our team then uses air moving and dehumidifying equipment to dry the home. We also use deodorization, antibacterial and anti-fungal products to eliminate odors and microorganisms from the affected areas of a structure.
When your home has flood damage, call the company you can trust SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen at (201)236-2400 for an immediate response to your flood damage disaster. We are Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Restoring Your Business After Damages
Flooding and water damage events at commercial properties are often complex, with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and timely response. Whether dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen works quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professional Service Technicians are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area of your business. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up may be an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen a call and we'll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen specializes in the cleanup and restoration of both large and small commercial properties after a water damage event. Our staff is fully trained and certified IICRC in water damage restoration.
Our company has professional grade equipment and cleaning products, and is fully capable of handling any size disaster, even large commercial property spaces.
To learn more about our commercial services read Commercial Services.
Safely Grill and Avoid Fire Damage Disasters
As the season for grilling outside officially kicks off this month here are some tips to remember while grilling at your BBQ.
- Always supervise a barbecue grill when in use
- Make sure people especially young children and pets stay away from the grill
- Use long-handed tools made for cooking on the grill
As a leading fire disaster cleaning and restoration company, SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen understands the process of recovering after a fire disaster destroys your home or business. There are some tips and steps to take immediately after a fire. We can help guide you through this difficult process dealing with insurance companies and scheduling cleanup and rebuilding.
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen is ready for any size disaster. We clean and restore Fire, Smoke and Soot damage "Like it never even happened."
Featured Member of The Waldwick Chamber of Commerce
We Live Here Too!
For over 20 years, Charlie and Donna Vingoe have owned the SERVPRO franchises of Northwest Bergen, Southern Rockland County & Eastern Rockland County, located on Crescent Avenue in Waldwick. SERVPRO, a residential and commercial cleanup and restoration firm, provides 24/7 emergency water and fire/smoke/soot damage cleanups, sewage cleanups, mold remediation, bio-hazardous cleanings such as crime scene and hoarder situations, and carpet and upholstery cleanings.
Since 1995, the Vingoe’s and their SERVPRO Team have earned the trust of 100’s of national insurance carriers, as well as home and business owners alike, by making water and fire damage cleanups “Like it never even happened.”
Their local SERVPRO team of industry certified and experienced production managers, technicians and office staff are experts in helping you with your cleanup and throughout the mitigation process.
SERVPRO’s reputation is based on “Readiness”, being ready to help when disaster strikes, “Faster”, being faster to any sized disaster and committed to being “Here to Help”, with the philosophy of understanding the customer’s wants and needs. As a service company our goal is to make a difficult time less challenging.
SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen and Southern Rockland County & Eastern Rockland County has been recognized as one of the top 100 SERVPRO’s in the country, out of over 1800 franchises, for the past ten years and are members of SERVPRO’s National Franchise Advisory Board and the Northern New Jersey Sub-Regional Advertising Committee.
Charlie, Donna and the entire SERVPRO team take great pride in giving back to the community and believe their business has a responsibility to “pay it forward”. SERVPRO actively participates with The Waldwick Chamber of Commerce and is part of their Executive Board. SERVPRO works together on Chamber events that support local charities, community volunteer organizations, the town’s beautification, and the promotion of business amongst Chamber members. SERVPRO sponsors the Chamber’s 5K Run & 1 Mile Walk, networking events, Small Business Saturday, and Disco Nights for The Center for Hope and Safety. SERVPRO also sponsors Waldwick Day, several town recreational sports teams and sports banners, local educational fundraising events by donating tricky tray raffle items and monetary donations to various town volunteer organizations. SERVPRO has established a scholarship for a graduating senior from Waldwick High School and is the Emergency Evacuation Shelter and Meeting Point for the Crescent Elementary School. SERVPRO has initiated and sponsored the following charity events for local community members, Bridges for Katie, Kisses for Kelly Comedy Night & Subs for Super Bowl, A Night at the Hermitage for Laura A., a Variety Night for Hope with Heart and a Bruce Springsteen Cover Band Concert for Kerry.
Be Prepared For ANY Type Of Storm
Are You Prepared for an Emergency?
Make sure your emergency kit is stocked with the items on the checklist below. Most of the items are inexpensive and easy to find, and any one of them could save your life. Headed to the store? Download a printable version to take with you. Once you take a look at the basic items, consider what unique needs your family might have, such as supplies for pets, or seniors.
After an emergency, you may need to survive on your own for several days. Being prepared means having your own food, water and other supplies to last for at least 72 hours. A disaster supplies kit is a collection of basic items your household may need in the event of an emergency.
Basic Disaster Supplies Kit
To assemble your kit, store items in airtight plastic bags and put your entire disaster supplies kit in one or two easy-to-carry containers such as plastic bins or a duffel bag.
A basic emergency supply kit could include the following recommended items:
- Water - one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food - at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
If your home has water damage due to a storm, call the professional cleanup crew at SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen (201)236-2400 to help we offer storm damage cleanup and restoration visit Storm Damage Cleanup Services for more information.